Our mission is to advocate for educational excellence in the Upper Arlington Schools by connecting the Community to the school District through diverse communication tools such as links, blogs and emails. UAEC is dedicated to monitoring the District’s initiatives, Curriculum and Academic Rankings as well as providing a Common Sense voice for the Community.
Upper Arlington Education Coalition
Advocating Educational Excellence
Subscribe to Email List
School District Legal Fees
As of March 22, 2021 $185,300 taxpayer dollars have been paid on lawyers to change the Building Code.
Bathroom Timeline – How did we get here?
- Aug-Dec 2018 Architectural Plans approved by the UA School Board include bathrooms labeled Gender Neutral Bathrooms, Boy Bathrooms & Girl Bathrooms. (All 6 schools)
- Jan-Feb 2019 Approved Architectural Plans submitted to City of UA for 5 School Buildings. Construction begins
- June 2020 UA School District goes to court to change Building Code for only Windermere Elementary, not the 5 Buildings nearing completion.
Community is not informed. No public discussion during School Board meetings. No Public Record of approval.
- June 2020 Superintendent Imhoff testifies to Ohio Board of Building Appeals that there will NOT be a choice in bathrooms. District wants ONLY Gender Neutral in new buildings.
- Superintendent testifies the Community knows about and supports relabeling the bathrooms.
- Oct 2020 Superintendent Blog: Tells parents all schools have a choice. Misleading – The only schools with 3 restroom types available do not have a choice near the classrooms. Boy Bathrooms & Girl Bathrooms are located in the old part of some elementary Buildings. In the high school, the Boy Bathrooms & Girl Bathrooms are near the Gym and Auditorium, not the Academic Wing.
- 2020 UA School Board spends more than $107,000 on lawyer fees to change the Code. Lawyer fees continue to rise
- Nov 2020 Judge Vacates original decision. New hearing scheduled. UA School District appeals the ruling. The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals will hear the case in April 2021
- City of UA – refuses to enforce Building Code. Schools are open and Signage on the bathrooms are not to Code.
- March 2020 City decides to enforce Code. School District told to comply and put signage on the bathrooms to match Original Architectural Plans.
- March 2020 Architects respond w/direction from School Board that it is not against Code because of Title IX.
- April 2020 City tells District to follow Code.
- May 2020 School Board votes to re-label the bathrooms according to Code by May 31, 2021. The Windermere case is still in the Appeals Court.
- July 2020 – 10th District Court of Appeals heard the Windermere Bathroom case. It will take time for their Decision.
PowerPoint Slide – Community Meetings
The District shared this slide in a PowerPoint. They are now sending it to families and stating that this is the slide where the Community was informed about the All Gender Bathrooms. Notice that this has an open sink with Boys and Girls using different sides! The Design of the open sink and mirror WERE discussed. Having ONLY Gender Neutral was not discussed. The current bathrooms look nothing like this image.